// >//]]>
...feed your soul with art & creativity!

Monday, November 12, 2012

Jump Into the Zero Degree Water

Jump into cold water

The problem with taking a vacation is that it automatically sets into motion Newton’s First Law of Motion—you know the one…a body at rest stays at rest.  It seems that most of October flew by in the blink of an eye.  And while I was on a roll before the vacation, I’ve struggled to get back into the swing of things and get the blog written.  Of course, I haven’t just been sitting around eating bon-bons (what IS a real bon bon anyway?)  I prepared for and participated in a large craft show.  I worked on a large supply of inventory for the trunk show this past weekend which was a good success. And I’ve unpacked the last of the items from our household move.
newton2
Sir Issac Newton

Still, I’ve really missed the discipline and habit I’d been developing to get the blog written.  So, today I decided to build up my courage and jump into the zero degree water.  That’s what it reminds me of…having to psych myself back up to push my body out of rest and back to blogging.  I had originally set a goal of 3 times a week.  I was doing pretty well with this schedule but once I set a goal of 5 times a week, it suddenly became much more difficult.  So, I’m going back to 3 times a week.  It’s a goal and a habit that I can achieve and do well in that process. 

Perhaps the fact that five became a challenge means that my brain needs a day or two to ‘stew’ in order to stir up the ideas for the next blog and get my creativity flowing.  Or maybe its just that I have many activities and obligations that all require attention.
Balancing balls Newton's cradle
My main point today is that with our creative endeavors and artworks, sometimes we have to screw up our courage and take the plunge.  Creativity and doing art does take a certain amount of courage.  I watched the movie "We Bought a Zoo" this weekend and love the idea that we only need 20 seconds of courage or bravery to do something.  Once the scary something is begun, it's so very much easier to continue the activity and this is true with art and writing.  Also housework. Even if the artwork is only for yourself, your friends or your family and never is seen in a public forum, the courage that is required is to allow whatever creative urge you have to get into the artwork (painting, glass, assemblage, poem,…whatever medium you use).  To take a page from Nike, to just do it.  The other point where courage comes into play is to show up every day.  Or at least, every other day…